Saturday, December 13, 2008

Jesus is back!


I read an interesting post here that is about the hype machine Tebow. Watching the SEC title game last weekend was nauseating. "Bronco Nagurski!". "Red Grange (oh really?)". "Best college player ever!" I think I understand better now when all the haters rip Madden, Peter King, etc. for Tebagging Favre. Except for the most wins, yards, touchdowns, comebacks, and MVP's part. All without a credible go-to guy. Yeah, totally overrated. But anyway, the article makes the case, correctly, that not only is Tebow not the best college QB ever, he probably is not even the best in the last 30 years. Tommy Frazier was a wee bit better, and he never won the Heisman. Tebow scores mostly from three yards or less. He is a horrible passer (I know, who throws a lot of TD's, from the one yard line.) But he is a good Christian man who circumcises poor children in other countries. What!??!! Why is that a virtue? It is a purely religious act (on his part, at least) that is completely unnecessary in terms of health of a person. I am all for circumcision (for dudes) but don't act like he is all of a sudden preventing malnutrition and third world disease. I am sure he is a great guy and teammate. I just hate that he is somehow held up as the greatest thing ever because he is basically a fullback who is great at short yardage sneaks and spreads the Word. The Heisman is a total joke now as it has evolved from an award to the best player in the nation to now where it is given to the best QB on the best team. What really blows is that for the past month I have had very little other than a passing interest in the college game because there is nothing exciting about its postseason. Boy, I wonder what they could show in the month between the end of the season and the title game? Certainly not what all divisions in college football except D1 or whatever they call themselves these days are up to. That would take these student-athletes out of class during their winter break. These dumbasses are really not thinking very long term about the game. Fuck The BCS.
Update: Dammit, it is early and I am an idiot. Tebow is not even the best QB this decade. Vince Young had the best game I have ever seen in the title game against USC with Leinart, Lendale, and Bush. He had 200 yards rushing and over 200 passing against what many felt was the best college team ever. He should have won the Heisman in 'O5, not Eric Metcalfe, I mean Reggie Bush. I love the ESPN/ABC Hype machine.

No comments: