Wednesday, December 17, 2008

Suck. On. This.




Really, really great article by Glenn Greenwald at Salon. In it he argues that the same things that we condemn and look to hang people for, we use to "protect the Homeland". We have had worse threats than Islamic Terrorism in our history and I don't quite understand why we threw out our moral high ground for it. I know "24" and the like has made people believe if we just rip out one more fingernail we will stop that ticking bomb. Unfortunately, usually we end up with a lot of useless information since people will tell you anything after a bit of torture. War crimes are war crimes, they have always been committed throughout time to "protect you". Think every despot, tyrant, and Bog Roosh doesn't justify it the same way? I am not so naive to think this is a new phenomenon in our history but I don't think that we should continue a practice that only makes us look like what we are trying to destroy. Wait, what!?!! J. Lo and Skeletor might be getting divorced? Fuck, what was I talking about again?

2 comments:

ContrarianJerkwad said...

I agree that torture is bad, unless Jack Bauer is doing it, unless someone is holding the woman he is currently fucking hostage.

Jack Burton said...

I haven't really watched with bachelor Jack, so does that happen often, I bet it happens often. 24 just had my forever ire when there was a Council on Foreign Relations panel with Chloe, and Limbaugh and they were like comparing it to real life situations.