Saturday, December 13, 2008

Right up to your face and dis you!



Whenever I talk to a person of right leaning ways, I ask them if they would have supported the Civil Rights Act of 1964. Without fail they always say, "Of course I would have." They are always talking about how they are the party of Lincoln and how they freed the slaves. Which is of course so false it is laughable. The point I am trying to make here is this: These assholes, in 30 years, are going to be saying the same thing about Gay Marriage. Of course they would have been for it. I saw Jon Stewart interview Mike Huckabee (who is far more dangerous than Palin, IMO) and basically fillet all of his offensive arguments this week. Stewart rightly kept bringing up segregation and how that position was bolstered by religious types and the like. Huckabee tried to put forward that 60% of the country is against gay marriage. I bet in the height of the Civil Rights struggle public opinion was against it, as well. Probably more than 60%. Which is why ballot initiatives need to be off the table. If Civil Rights were put to that sort of thing, I doubt I would exist right now. That is why there is a Judicial branch. Sometimes the right thing to do is not the most popular thing at the time it is decided. I just hope we all remember what these assholes are trying to deny people, once again, rights most take for granted. So when they try to say in the future how they felt it was right to allow gays to get married I get to punch them in
their smug faces. I was for that the whole time.

2 comments:

Ryan Johnson said...

i'm nominating this post "best of the month"

keep up the good work, jack

Jack Burton said...

Thank you, Bob. I am humbled. It is neck and neck with my "spider" post. Emoticon.