Saturday, December 13, 2008

Quit bitin'!

I am no fan of Joe Klein, at all. In fact I think he has a spot right next to Judith Miller and Tom "6 months" Friedman in the journalist section of my "American Heroes" museum. But this week in Time he seems to be stealing my greatest post ever. The difference? I didn't need to go to motherfucking Afghanistan to see that we are not going to um, succeed in any of the vague objectives we didn't set out to to achieve. Again, anyone care to define what a "win" there is to me? One specific thing that I heavily, heavily disagree with Klein about in this article is his ideas on what it would take to turn it around (which cannot be done, he argues against himself earlier in the story). That is opium interdiction. Just like the drug war, you cannot stop trafficking anywhere unless you come up with the magical ability to stop demand from the countries illegal drugs are going to. No amount of Drugs=terrorist commercials are going to do that, only Merlin.

No comments: